As your lawn responds to nature's spring wake-up call, help prepare it for a year of healthy growth with these 5 tips.
1. Leave the clippings. The grass biodegrades, adding nutrients and organic matter to the soil. This reduces the need for fertilizer or disposal of clippings. Mulching mowers cut grass into tiny pieces, which quickly break down.
Anytime in early spring or fall
Use only on established lawns of the following turf types: Bermudagrass, centipedegrass, all varieties of St. Augustinegrass (including floratam) and zoysia.
Do not use on any other turf types: bahiagrass, bentgrass, ormond variety of Bermudagrass, buffalograss, carpetgrass, dichondra, fescue, kikuyugrass, ryegrass or seashore paspalum lawns.
Use 2.5 pounds per 1,000 square feet
Apply anytime - spring through fall at temperatures between 50 degrees F and 90 degrees F.
On established lawns without harming lawn grasses.
Do not use on Carpetgrass, improved varieties of St. Augustinegrass, such as floratam, dichondra or desirable clovers.
2. Mow at proper heights. Most lawns should be cut taller than you might think. Taller grass means deeper roots and a more resilient yard. Since proper grass heights can vary depending on your location, contact your county extension office for regional mowing height recommendations based on your turf type.
3. Use gadgets to water effectively. Watering deeply and infrequently allows lawns to partially dry out between watering. New tech, such as rain shutoffs, moisture sensors and smart controllers can further save time, water and money.
4. Fertilize properly. Feeding too early or too late weakens turf and often makes them more susceptible to diseases. Overfeeding promotes insects and disease and can cause pollution of local waters. Under-fertilizing can result in a lousy-looking lawn and more weeds.
5. In the North, East & West, control weeds. Kill existing broadleaf weeds and prevent them from coming back for up to 6 months with BioAdvanced® Season Long Weed Control For Lawns. Or try 5 In 1 Weed & Feed to kill lawn weeds like Dandelion and Clover, plus kill Crabgrass, all in one step.
6. In the South, control weeds. Specially formulated for Southern lawns, BioAdvanced 3-in-1 Weed & Feed for Southern Lawns kills existing weeds, feeds the turf and prevents new weeds, including Crabgrass, for up to six months. It's like three products in one, so you don't have to buy and apply multiple weed control products throughout the season.